Every year I get all excited when there is a new FIFA video game out. I love playing FIFA 2015 and I especially love the career mode. I keep hoping that AE will add some sort of character development around the career section and every year I am disappointed. Here is what I think would put career mode into the stratosphere as far as gaming goes.
1) Character development - Just as your player’s skills develop by reaching certain milestones so should the character develop. This could be done through things like interviews, injuries, practices. For example, if you’re player participates strongly in practice they develop skills faster. Just like in real life. FIFA already has an aspect of this but it could be so much more.
If your player gets injured development slows down or there could be a lingering side effect. At the moment your player could shatter his knee and be ready to play in 4 months, a tad unrealistic I’m afraid.
The big one which would feed into character and team development could be interviews. Reporters could ask specific questions for wins or losses and there could be a variety of potential answers. Depending on the answers it could affect the moral of the team and how other players relate to them.
” Dave, you team performed poorly against Real Madrid, what happened?”
- We didn’t play to our full potential I agree, but the team had some great passes and I think we need to work on creating more of those.
- I didn’t play as well as I should have. I let the team down. I need to focus more on my footwork.
- I scored a goal, if the rest of the team could pull their weight…
- F&%&$ Spaniards.
- The coach has no idea what he is doing. I can’t wait to leave.
2) Team development - I don’t know if the AI in FIFA 2015 is this sophisticated or not but it seems as though some forwards never pass the ball. They would rather try to weave through a half dozen defenders than lob it in. Others seem to be more than willing to give and take. Imagine if you player is a douche, bad mouths his team, never passes the ball, other players don’t pass to him as much. If your player bad mouths the coach in an interview, he warms the bench a little more.
It would be fun to be able to create some strong team dynamics which affected how well the team played. For example, take a look at the last world cup. Argentina had Messi, Brazil had Neymar, Portugal had Ronaldho and Germany had a team. Morale (hence AI ability) could be affected by departures, new arrivals, length of time playing together and a whole host of variables.
3) Negotiations - At the end of every season it is the same message “Good job, hope you will stay with the team.” Why would I? Let’s say for example you start your career in Toronto with a salary of $1000 a week. By the end of the season you’ve smashed all expectations, won the golden boot, dragged a mediocre team into the play-offs, won the domestic cup…Would you stick around for $1000/week? Hell no! You have some major European teams knocking on the door. But they all offer the exact same amount. No matter how many offers you decline every team comes back with exactly the same $190,000 a week offer.
You should be able to negotiate things like team status (fan favorite? Captain?), bonuses for winning certain tournaments or hitting certain milestones or taking on outside endorsements. These choices could also feedback into the team dynamics.
4) Agents – In FIFA 2015 your player’s agent tells him to keep up the good work to get on the national team. Then he’s never hear from them again. Why? You could have agents with different skill levels, and the more you make the more agents want to represent you. They could have different skill sets too. Some could be good at negotiating contracts others could be good at endorsements. Some could be creative with bonuses and other good at getting offers from a lot of teams. The possibilities are endless.
I won’t be buying FIFA 2016 this year. I don’t feel it is significantly different enough from the previous two or three years to warrant the $70. If AE could expand the career section however I would buy it in a heartbeat.